- May 19th. 2015
- By John Beggs
Well, what a start to the season!
Apologies to anyone who has been missed off, but there has been a lot going on:
Men’s 2 cat racing
Great team work from Wayne Beba, Keith Watson, Rod Archibald, new signing Ross Bryan and ably assisted on occasion by Craig Joy and David Hewett, has produced some excellent results:
- Team – at one stage Adalta was ranked 2nd in the South East, and we are currently 4th as a result of the team racing further afield in recent weeks. The team performed very strongly at the recent Surrey League 3 day despite various mechanicals and punctures. Wayne led the team home to 4th overall.
- Wayne, team captain, leading by example – 10x top 10 finishes, including 7x podiums – 2 x third, 3 x second and 2 wins – March Hare Masters and the first Crits at the Park. Wayne’s stand out performance of the season was a 2nd place in the Queen Stage of the Surrey 3 day in miserable conditions laying the foundation for a good overall finish. He has amassed 97 points towards his cat 1 licence.
- Keith has had a strong start to the season with 5 top ten finishes, including 2 second places with his best result coming second in the SERRL 2/3/4 on the Tenterden circuit. Keith is known for his attacking riding, particularly on the climbs and it is only a matter of time before he records his first victory.
- Rod has been gaining experience riding at the higher level and supporting Wayne and Keith when required. His best result so far this season has been a top 10 in the SERRL 2/3/4 on the Tenterden circuit.
- Ross joined the team in March and immediately added another dimension displaying strong attacking riding. He has been on the wrong end of some bad luck with punctures (2 in 2 days at the Surrey 3 day) in recent races but it is only a matter of time until his strong riding yields results.
With the first phase of the season complete, the team is looking forward to moving off the closed circuits and onto the road races, hoping for no further cancellations. With a growing reputation for strong attacking riding it looks like an exciting summer ahead.
Women’s racing – road, track and time trials
A very good start to the season, and more good news with Sophia Joy joining during the last week:
- Jo Smith started the open track season at the Lee Valley anniversary meeting with a win in the scratch race, and a 2nd in the elimination. At the prestigious Good Friday Meeting, Jo was 4th in the points race, 2nd in the scratch and won the elimination, and wins in the scratch, points and keirin at Herne Hill. Jo has also raced several crit races, finishing in top ten places
- Emma Lewis has followed her excellent cyclocross season with a clean sweep of 3 wins out of 3 races at the Cyclopark in fields of more than 20 women! Time trialing – Emma took 2 minutes off her PB recording 63.36 in the Thanet 25 at Fowlmead: first woman and 6th overall out of a field of 30.
Jo and Emma raced in the South East women’s road race championships this weekend and were 18th and 13th respectively an awesome result in a strong field ably supported by Sophia.
Men’s 3 /4 cat racing
Strong racing and promising results:
- Dave Hewitt won the 3rd cat crits at Cyclopark in February, and has 2nd and 4th places, 3 other top 10 finishes, and 2 great placings in National B races, 10th and 19th . David has now achieved his 2nd cat status.
- Craig Joy has supported both the 2nd cat team in 2/3/4 races and the 3/4 cats, with a top 10 road race placing. Craig will be captaining the 3/4 cats, providing advice and guidance to experienced and novice racers.
- Some good hard racing from Spencer Wood, Paul Philpott, Nick Saunders, Matt Jones, Jamie Davies Evans and other members
- Piers Hazelgrove, Alex Panteli and Lee Mills have been gaining experience and showing encouraging signs of becoming good bike racers.
- Dave Hewitt again, representing Cambridge University as well as Adalta: a pb of 20.23 for a 10miler in Cambridge colours, a 54.54 for 25 miles, and a 20.31 at Fowlmead – only 11 seconds off the course record.
- Andrew Buckley: first ever 25 mile TT and under the hour
- Richie McVey – good to see Richie back time trialling, with a strong 22.51 on a windy Fowlmead last week for the 10.
- Several other members time trialling, strong performances from Spencer Wood and Simon Herrington, and Steve Xing, one of our London-based members
Triathlon and duathlon
James Wren and Julie Mobey leading the way:
- James and Julie represented Great Britain in the European age group duathlon championships in Holland – Julie finishing 9th and James 12th overall in their respective age groups (both were 3rd GB finishers).
- James and Julie have achieved some other excellent results so far this season with top 10 placings, including age group podiums and wins, in local duathlons.
- Last weekend James came 17th in the National Sprint Triathlon Championships, with a blistering final 5k run in 17.40
- Conrad McEwan rode strongly in the brutal 112 mile Fred Whitton Challenge in the Lake District last weekend
- John Beggs and Nick Saunders conquered the hills and cobbles of Flanders in typical Belgian weather
- Adalta have been 2 teams (8 riders) in this year’s Ride London, and several other members are also riding – hopefully it will be bit dryer than last year!
Club rides & training
Just a reminder that there is also a good social cycling side to Adalta:
- A great turnouts on the regular Saturday club rides and an informal midweek evening ride has also been running, which has also been well supported – both in the dark and now when it is lighter.
- Thanks and well done to Joffy Richardson for organising and running the club rides.
- Further afield, a number of members have attended overseas training camps, and a trip to France is coming up
Events we’re supporting
Just a reminder that we are supporting the following local events:
- Fowlmead Fridays – race training sessions run jointly with Thanet RC. Profits from the series go to supporting Thanet’s junior section
- Women’s race series at Fowlmead, also jointly with Thanet RC, for both novice and experienced women racers – monthly races over the summer. Next race is on 29 May.